IPB

Üdvözöllek a Fórumban! ( Bejelentkezés | Regisztráció )

How to start a path toward making pottery a career?
beneathftr
hozzászólás May 1 2019, 07:19 AM
Létrehozva: #1

Advanced Member

Csoport: Members
Azonosító: 807

Hi... so I’m a 25 year old who has been slowly been struggling towards a college degree. Overall I’ve done poorly, largely due to struggles with depression(which I’m now receiving treatment for) but also due to lack passion/drive for what I’ve been studying.

However I think I’ve found something I am passionate about: pottery/wheel ceramics.

I’ve been taking weekly pottery classes at a local art center and it’s all I can think about. I spend all of my spare time reading and watching videos about ceramics. I’m also a lover of quality teas, particularly those from China and Taiwan, so my focus has been on creating Chinese/Taiwanese-inspired teawares. While I’ve been learning fairly quickly, I certainly understand that I have a lot to learn.

While I’m not fully ready to commit yet, I’ve become more and more entranced with the idea of becoming a professional potter. I understand that it will take a lot of work and is generally not the most lucrative profession, but I think I’d be fine with living a simple life if I can have a career that I’m passionate about.

My question is how best to start the path towards making a career out of pottery. Should I take ceramics classes at my local college? (Their only offering are ceramics I and II classes). Should I try to find an apprenticeship? About 45 minutes away there is a clay center that I’ve been to that rents studio space, should I ask around there?

TLDR: I’m a young amateur ceramicist considering trying to make it into a career. Theoretically, how should I go about that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Válaszok
ambiguousscourge
hozzászólás May 1 2019, 07:21 AM
Létrehozva: #2

Advanced Member

Csoport: Members
Azonosító: 884

Welcome to the Forums.

There are plenty of people here, with near limitless information, including those, who do make a living selling their work.

So, I suggest you start off, by looking through the Forum topics, as Gabby suggested. You may have questions that have already been asked and answered. Use the search bar on the top right.

If you have a question, that hasn't been asked, ask away. Like I said, there is a lot of experienced, knowledgeable posters here.

You've already started classes, which is great, as being hands on is the best way to learn, and figure out if something is for you or not.

Keep at it, and don't get discouraged. Nobody got good at clay work over night. There will be frustration, there will be failure. But there will also be a lot of excitement, and sense of accomplishment.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Hozzászólás a témához

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 felhasználó olvassa jelenleg ezt a témát (1 vendég és 0 anonim felhasználó)
0 felhasználó:

Szöveges verzió A pontos idő: 4th August 2024 - 10:32 PM