IPB

Üdvözöllek a Fórumban! ( Bejelentkezés | Regisztráció )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Black Mold removal
bining
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:13 PM
Létrehozva: #1

Advanced Member

Csoport: Members
Azonosító: 761

I never thought I would have this problem. I have black mold in my basement floor from a pallet I did not realize had gotten wet.

My basement is concrete block and the floor is concrete.

I think I can neutralize it with Clorox, absorb it with cat litter and bag it. Since I am on a well and septic, near a major river and city sewer I need a safe way to dispose of it.

Ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_monsterftr_*
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:15 PM
Létrehozva: #2

Guests

One thing not mentioned is spores. Mold spreads by releasing spores. I know this because we had a house that had black mold. Our solution was to quit the house and let the bank deal with it. As the quotes we got started at 20k to clean it up.

You can clean the surface and the area around with Bleach, but what will you do to kill the spores?
We were told we'd need our air system cleaned, then a UV light installed in it. As at the time UV was about the only way to kill spores.
So hopefully your basement isn't hooked up to your HVAC system. Then all you may have to do is just bath the basement in UV light for a few hours.
Also fire up a dehumidifier to dry out the basement. As mold likes dampness to grow.

+Quote Post
Guest_charterpoison_*
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:15 PM
Létrehozva: #3

Guests

My whole life I have been dealing with this "black mold". In the basement. . . in the crawlspace. . .in the bathtub, etc. I was so naive: I thought it was harmless mildew. How on earth did I ever survive?

Then again, I love blue cheese which is mold as well. Maybe that saved me.

+Quote Post
Guest_steeveell_*
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:16 PM
Létrehozva: #4

Guests

Mold (and its spores) are everywhere...all the time. You'll NEVER get rid of it...without spending ridiculous sums of money to do so.

What causes it to grow are conditions that are advantageous to its propagation. Eliminate those, and mold will not grow.

+Quote Post
Guest_andikishore_*
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:16 PM
Létrehozva: #5

Guests

Use Clorox on non porous surfaces only, like ceramic tile. Porous surfaces like wood, drywall, etc need something different. Jomax has been used by people here who experienced the flood April 29 in Pensacola (google that). Here is the msds »www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/E ··· 0101.PDF

You will see the main ingredient is glacial acetic acid. ignore the glacial, that just means that the acetic acid was not made from alcohol, but from methanol reacted with CO (carbon monoxide), what you actually have with 5% acetic acid is vinegar. Plus they throw in a little surfactant to break the surface tension.

If you search a little you will find that vinegar kills over 80% of fungi. Wet it, wipe up what you can, re-wet it and let it dry.

+Quote Post
Guest_andikishore_*
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:17 PM
Létrehozva: #6

Guests

There are many molds that are black, most of them harmless. Unless you've had it tested and it came back as »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St ··· hartarum, just clean it up, fix the moisture issue, and stop losing sleep over it. People just call that particularly toxic strain "black mold" because Stachybotrys Chartarum is a mouthful.

+Quote Post
ftrsquish
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:18 PM
Létrehozva: #7

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 731

You are absolutely right about mold removal spores. Every time you walk on grass or dirt you release it. Every time you go outside, you breathe it. It is impossible to avoid except in the middle of the ocean. The best humans can do to get relief is to *not* open windows or doors in the house and filter the air 24/7. My house was tested for mold before I ever bought it. The mess in the basement is on me.

+Quote Post
bining
hozzászólás Apr 17 2019, 12:19 PM
Létrehozva: #8

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 761

Update. I talked to a mold remediator tonight. I answered questions as to what I saw (black marks on the floor where the wood was and no where else), what I smelled (nothing), my whole house dehumidifier is working, and the basement was otherwise cool and dry.

He said it was black, and he said it was mold. He said from my description he is sure it is not toxic. He said I could use DAWN, or any soap or ? that is anti-bacterial, or acidic such as vinegar, with a stiff scrub brush.

I asked him about absorbing it with litter, let it dry, and then dispose of it. He agreed and said it is a good plan. He said Clorox is not a good idea as I have problems with it due to a skin condition.

It really is amazing what hot water and vinegar can clean.
I've used for years on wood floors.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 felhasználó olvassa jelenleg ezt a témát (1 vendég és 0 anonim felhasználó)
0 felhasználó:

Szöveges verzió A pontos idő: 27th June 2024 - 05:27 AM