IPB

Üdvözöllek a Fórumban! ( Bejelentkezés | Regisztráció )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Protective Registration
ftrsquish
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:06 PM
Létrehozva: #1

Advanced Member

Csoport: Members
Azonosító: 731

Hi everyone
Has anyone ever had the CIFAs protective registration?
My mum has had it placed on her file by Vanquis after my brother took out yet another credit card in her name. I might add this is after a long campaign of fraud against her by him and his wife and this time she reported it to the police and Action Fraud.
I monitor her file for her and had an alert the other day when I checked it said this was pending.
I know that it means applications for credit will be done slightly differently which she is happy about but what else does it mean? We are also placing a notice of correction on her file to explain she has been a victim of extensive fraud.
Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
utmostacidic
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:08 PM
Létrehozva: #2

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 1,045

IDÉZET(ftrsquish @ May 18 2019, 12:06 PM) *
Hi everyone
Has anyone ever had the CIFAs protective registration?
My mum has had it placed on her file by Vanquis after my brother took out yet another credit card in her name. I might add this is after a long campaign of fraud against her by him and his wife and this time she reported it to the police and Action Fraud.
I monitor her file for her and had an alert the other day when I checked it said this was pending.
I know that it means applications for credit will be done slightly differently which she is happy about but what else does it mean? We are also placing a notice of correction on her file to explain she has been a victim of extensive fraud.
Thanks!

The CIFAS protective registration will do that for you, and be clearly evident when lenders search the FPAs. As such, it's probably not worth adding a NOC? To answer your other question, have you read up on protective registration? ie...

+Quote Post
bining
Létrehozva: #3

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 761

Yes, I registered with CIFAS after the Talktalk debacle. It ran out recently. Lo and behold, my details have been accessed in the Equifax hack, so I've registered again.

Equifax have their own system, but I don't trust them with the details they've added for.

+Quote Post
danielhowell
Létrehozva: #4

Azonosító: 1,064

Did you know you can Password Protect your credit files? This is similar to CIFAS Protective Registration. BUT, unlike CIFAS Protective Registration, this will reach ALL those who access your files and not just CIFAS members.

I lifted the following from the Experian website. It's advice given to someone who had various items stolen.

Adding some security features to your credit report would be a sensible move and should give you some peace of mind. The easiest way to do this with all three credit reference agencies is by arranging for a CIFAS Protective Registration. For a fee of £20 a marker will be added to your credit reports at all three credit reference agencies, for two years, to warn lenders to take extra care when assessing an application in your name. We can also advise you about adding a ‘notice of correction’ to your credit report containing a password and asking prospective lenders to request it to check that future credit applications are genuine. Unlike CIFAS, you would need to add this with each of the three credit reference agencies. Rest assured that if any fraudulent activity does takes place, our Victims of Fraud team will be able to help you set the record straight as quickly and painlessly as possible. (February 2013. Updated October 2017)

+Quote Post
beneathftr
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:13 PM
Létrehozva: #5

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 807

I registered myself because it's the best anti-fraud measure there is. I haven't had a problem beyond having to provide extra ID documents. But avoid Metro Bank but doesn't everyone? In the recent thread posts on my difficulty on getting a Metro Bank current account I actually forgot about my protective CIFAS registration. Lloyds Bank, New Day Amazon card, B, Triodos, Virgin Money, Tesco Bank were all approved without a hitch beyond providing extra ID docs.

+Quote Post
fillerjupiter
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:14 PM
Létrehozva: #6

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 886

IDÉZET(beneathftr @ May 18 2019, 01:13 PM) *
I registered myself because it's the best anti-fraud measure there is. I haven't had a problem beyond having to provide extra ID documents. But avoid Metro Bank but doesn't everyone? In the recent thread posts on my difficulty on getting a Metro Bank current account I actually forgot about my protective CIFAS registration. Lloyds Bank, New Day Amazon card, B, Triodos, Virgin Money, Tesco Bank were all approved without a hitch beyond providing extra ID docs.

What extra ID documents? I only have a passport and old school paper licence.

+Quote Post
fillerjupiter
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:14 PM
Létrehozva: #7

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 886

If you are looking to check whether you have been registered with us as a victim of fraud, you should check your credit report rather than make a Subject Access Request. Get in touch with any of the main credit reference agencies; your report will show Cifas 'victim markers' as well as lots of other useful information that will help you to spot if a fraudster is attempting to use your identity.

Victim markers !!!8211; !!!8216;Victim of Impersonation!!!8217; and !!!8216;Victim of Takeover!!!8217; !!!8211; remain in place for 13 months from the date of submission. Both will appear on credit reports.

So does anyone know how long that takes to get onto your CRA?

+Quote Post
ambiguousscourge
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:15 PM
Létrehozva: #8

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 884

Protective Registration is a chargeable service offered to consumers by Cifas, a not-for-profit organisation that helps to protect consumers and businesses from fraud. Protective Registration costs £25 +VAT for two years registration and this covers the placement of a signal against your file that asks for additional verification from anyone that accesses your file to determine your eligibility.
Note that this may add a delay to any application while your application is verified, and the company ascertains that the applicant is definitely you. Protective Registration is perfect if you suspect your identity may already have been compromised.

+Quote Post
danielhowell
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:15 PM
Létrehozva: #9

Azonosító: 1,064

IDÉZET(ambiguousscourge @ May 18 2019, 01:15 PM) *
I usually provide passport, energy statements (gas, electricity, water), bank statement and credit card statement. I would advise that if you currently have online statements you revert to paper statements but check on whether a charge will be levied.

I have paper billing. A bit old school but then the lloyds adviser said consider going paperless as its less chance of mail interception.

+Quote Post
beneathftr
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:16 PM
Létrehozva: #10

Advanced Member

It was a very calm, balanced program from people who probably know exactly how a fraudster steals an identity and exactly how much or how little these CDs would be to them. Far more informed that the tabloid hysteria we've all be infected with over the past week ... which is really getting rather tiresome Good luck - and remember, there's no such thing as a bad decision, provided you've done the research, understand the pros & cons and arrived at your own informed decision

+Quote Post
bining
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:21 PM
Létrehozva: #11

Advanced Member

Azonosító: 761

IDÉZET(ambiguousscourge @ May 18 2019, 12:15 PM) *
Protective Registration is a chargeable service offered to consumers by Cifas, a not-for-profit organisation that helps to protect consumers and businesses from fraud. Protective Registration costs £25 +VAT for two years registration and this covers the placement of a signal against your file that asks for additional verification from anyone that accesses your file to determine your eligibility.
Note that this may add a delay to any application while your application is verified, and the company ascertains that the applicant is definitely you. Protective Registration is perfect if you suspect your identity may already have been compromised.

That's very true. I've heard of people changing their pin numbers on their cards and passwords on their online accounts because of this, why you don't supply that information so it won't be on the discs.

I doubt there is anything on the discs that will cause a problem. I also thing they should come clean and tell people what the database contained.

+Quote Post
beneathftr
hozzászólás May 18 2019, 12:22 PM
Létrehozva: #12

Advanced Member

If you might be persuaded that there's not too much to worry about, you might want to listen to the podcast of today's Money Box Live on the Radio 4 website. This was the panel of "experts" taking calls from concerned people. Ed Mayo, chief executive, National Consumer Council Jill Stevens, director of consumer affairs, Experian Roland Perry, founder, E-Victims.org Sandra Quinn, director of corporate communications at APACS Well worth a listen. But to your question - sorry. No experience of this. I guess it depends on how clued up the lender is ... particular their "call centre operatives"

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 felhasználó olvassa jelenleg ezt a témát (1 vendég és 0 anonim felhasználó)
0 felhasználó:

Szöveges verzió A pontos idő: 18th June 2024 - 10:54 PM